Introduction to Youth Development Programme
The Youth Development Programme (YDP) is a community building campaign which aims to foster a culture of multi-faceted excellence and nurture young people with vision, creativity, leadership and a sense of commitment through structured, diversified and sustainable youth activities, with a view to empowering and equipping young people to:
- realise their capabilities and potentials, and pursue healthy interests;
- understand and experience interpersonal relationships; and
- understand their communities and develop a stronger sense of belonging and commitment to the community.
Young people aged between 6 and 29 in Hong Kong are eligible for the activities. While the majority within this age group are students, YDP activities do not focus their targets on students. The content and programme time of YDP activities should rather be designed to cater for the needs of students, working youths and young people from all sectors.
YDP seeks to provide young people from all sectors of the community with adequate opportunities to come together and enjoy leisure, sports and recreational and cultural activities. Applicant organisations and schools should encourage young people to participate in community affairs and promote their sense of civic responsibility. Balanced development is vital in nurturing young people to be future leaders. Objectives of YDP are as follows:
- to teach young people proper values;
- to foster a closer relationship between young people and the community;
- to develop young people’s cultural literacy by promoting arts and cultural activities;
- to encourage young people to do more exercise, develop team spirit and sportsmanship by promoting sports activities;
- to help young people prepare for future challenges by providing them with training opportunities; and
- to strengthen young people’s civic awareness and sense of belonging to Hong Kong.
Categories of Activities
YDP activities are coordinated and implemented by District Youth Programme Committees and consist of the following 3 categories of activities:
- Summer General Activities for summer holidays in the 18 districts;
- District Youth Activities organised year-round in the 18 districts; and
- Territory-wide/Cross-district Youth Development Activities organised year-round.
Over the years, the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust has been providing stern support for the Summer General Activities and Territory-wide/Cross-district Youth Development Activities. From 2019-20 onwards, funding for all 3 categories of YDP activities will be provided by the Home Affairs Department.