There are at present 18 district councils, 9 in the urban areas and 9 in the New Territories. There are altogether 479 DC seats for the DC term of 2020-2023.
Please click here to access the District Council Homepage.
Functions of a District Council
The functions of a District Council are -
- to advise the Government -
- on matters affecting the well-being of the people in the District;
- on the provision and use of public facilities and services within the District;
- on the adequacy and priorities of Government programmes for the District; and
- on the use of public funds allocated to the District for local public works and community activities; and
- where funds are made available for the purpose, to undertake -
- environmental improvements within the District;
- the promotion of recreational and cultural activities within the District; and
- community activities within the District.