- head of each District Office, the Government representative at the district level;
- overseeing the operation of the District Administration Scheme;
- implementing and co-ordinating the execution of district programmes, ensuring that the advice of the District Council is properly followed up and promoting residents' participation in district affairs;
- maintaining close liaison with different sectors of the community to reflect their views to Government;
- ensuring that district problems are resolved promptly through inter-departmental consultation and co-operation;
- as a link between the District Council and Government departments and a mediator between unions, corporate bodies and residents; and
- as a co-ordinator in the provision of relief services in emergency situations.