Close Button

Important Note

The “StayHomeSafe” telephone hotline (1833 019) of the Home Affairs Department renders support and assistance to persons under the “StayHomeSafe” Scheme. Its service hours are from 7am to 11pm daily.

We remind you to stay vigilant to fraudulent phone calls and correspondence claiming to be from our office. We will not normally make calls to members of the public through the hotline. We will not make phone calls or write to members of the public to ask them to provide personal information or make any payment. As our hotline is operated by a central telephone system, the hotline number 2835 2500 will not be displayed. If you have any doubt, please contact our staff for verification or please call the Hong Kong Police Anti-Deception Coordination Centre 24-hour Anti-Scam Helpline 18222 for enquiry. For details, please browse the following press releases –

Press release dated 8 October 2019

Press release dated 26 July 2019

Press release dated 28 April 2017

Press release dated 5 April 2017

Public Services


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. The deceased person died before 11 February 2006, but I only start to deal with matters related to the estate after that day. What arrangements are to be applicable?
  1. Do I have to apply for each of the certificates, authorization, etc. issued by the Secretary for Home and Youth Affairs?
  1. The deceased person was house-bound before death. I was authorized to handle all bank-related business. I have the bank passbook and the chop for the purpose of withdrawal of money. Do I have to notify the bank of the death of the deceased person? Can't I just withdraw money from the account for funeral-related expenses?
  1. Where can I obtain the various application forms?
  1. If I do not have the original of a document required to support my application, what can I do?
  1. I need the original document for some other matters as well. Will the authority return the originals to me? And if yes, when?
  1. The deceased person died outside Hong Kong. I have a death certificate issued by the authorities of the place where the deceased person died. What other documentation do I need to prove the death of the deceased person and why?
  1. Where should I lodge my application for a certificate for release of money/a certificate for inspection/an authorization for removal/a Confirmation Notice?
  1. I have already paid for the funeral expenses. How can I get reimbursement?
  1. The deceased person did not keep anything that is of value in the safe deposit box rented by him before death. Do I have to prepare an inventory of the contents of the safe deposit box?
  1. I find it difficult to prepare the inventory of the contents of the safe deposit box. Can the public officers attending the inspection process prepare the inventory for me instead?
  1. The deceased person has acquired some shares of stock that are of derisory value as at the date of his death. Apart from these shares, the cash standing to the credit of the deceased person's bank account is less than $50,000. I am entitled in priority to administer the estate. Can I apply for a Confirmation Notice?
  1. I have obtained a Confirmation Notice and the bank has released the money in the account to me. Do I still need to apply for grant?
  1. What documentation is required for an application for grant in respect of the estate of a person who died on or after 11 February 2006 now that the Estate Duty Office will no longer issue any estate duty clearance papers?