Close Button

Important Note

We remind you to stay vigilant to fraudulent phone calls and correspondence claiming to be from our office. We will not normally make calls to members of the public through the hotline. We will not make phone calls or write to members of the public to ask them to provide personal information or make any payment. As our hotline is operated by a central telephone system, the hotline number 2835 2500 will not be displayed. If you have any doubt, please contact our staff for verification or please call the Hong Kong Police Anti-Deception Coordination Centre 24-hour Anti-Scam Helpline 18222 for enquiry. For details, please browse the following press releases –

Press release dated 8 October 2019

Press release dated 26 July 2019

Press release dated 28 April 2017

Press release dated 5 April 2017

Public Services


Release of Money for Funeral Expenses


The Director of Home Affairs, under authority delegated by the Secretary for Home and Youth Affairs, may issue on application a "Certificate for Necessity of Release of Money" to authorize release of money from the bank account of the deceased person to meet funeral expenses. Section 60B of the Probate and Administration Ordinance (Cap. 10) is relevant.

Application for release of money for funeral expenses

The certificate for release of money from the bank account of the deceased person is to relieve possible hardship in meeting funeral expenses.

  • The application should be made by a fit and proper person who may be the executor appointed under the will, a family member, a friend, a fellow worker or a neighbour of the deceased person.
  • The application must be made before payment to the funeral service supplier.
  • The bank account in question should be one held in the sole name of the deceased person.

Application Procedures