Close Button

Important Note

We remind you to stay vigilant to fraudulent phone calls and correspondence claiming to be from our office. We will not normally make calls to members of the public through the hotline. We will not make phone calls or write to members of the public to ask them to provide personal information or make any payment. As our hotline is operated by a central telephone system, the hotline number 2835 2500 will not be displayed. If you have any doubt, please contact our staff for verification or please call the Hong Kong Police Anti-Deception Coordination Centre 24-hour Anti-Scam Helpline 18222 for enquiry. For details, please browse the following press releases –

Press release dated 8 October 2019

Press release dated 26 July 2019

Press release dated 28 April 2017

Press release dated 5 April 2017

Public Services


Release of Money for Maintenance


The Director of Home Affairs, under authority delegated by the Secretary for Home and Youth Affairs, may issue on application a "Certificate for Necessity of Release of Money" to authorize release of money from the bank account of the deceased person for maintenance of former dependants. Section 60B of the Probate and Administration Ordinance (Cap. 10) is relevant.

Application for release of money for maintenance of former dependants

The certificate for release of money from the bank account of the deceased person is to provide immediate relief for former dependant of a person who died on or after 11 February 2006.

  • The former dependant in question should have been supported financially by the deceased person immediately before his death and has a beneficial interest in the estate.
  • The money to be released will not be greater than the amount provided by the deceased person to the former dependants in question immediately before death. Nor will the amounts in aggregate be greater than the beneficial interest of the former dependant(s) in the estate.
  • The bank account in question should be one held in the sole name of the deceased person.
  • If the deceased person has left a will and has named an executor or executors, the applicant should be the executor or one of the executors. Otherwise, the applicant should be the one who is entitled in priority to administer the estate.
  • On approval, the bank will be required to release the money in monthly instalments for a period of three months.

Application Procedures